Part 1, April 6 - April 14. Elements of Storytelling; Preproduction, storyboard, audio
You will find, discover, and expose a narrative about a slice of life that evokes an emotion that draws the human race together. As a photographer, we work on capturing that single frame using various foundational elements and storytelling techniques. Now let's ask...how do we transition from this to telling a compelling motion story?
In this hands-on workshop series, we will learn how to use the foundations of photography and build upon that with proven techniques that will provide a new skill with confidence. Each participant will create a 45-60 second motion story from the methods taught in the workshop. With webinar classroom lectures and scheduled one-on-one mentorship, each participant will get tailored training to their needs and walk away with a finished product.
Join Scott Thompson, the lead on this event, to take your vision to the next level. Scott's work strives to tell the stories of its subjects. He creates photography and motion that is a mix of narrative, life, and authentic imagery that brings to the surface the nuance and beauty of everyday adventures. Personal storytelling serves as the perfect embellishment to his work, enabling the viewer to be transported into the vision created.
- 5 Elements of Storytelling technique to create a story
- Shot sequencing to build effect and story
- Transitions between scenes
- Understanding your audience to make your story
- Pre-production/storyboard/shot list
- Audio - and the importance of it
- Editing for the emotion/mood of the story
- Create a 60-second motion project
- 1-on-1 mentorship virtually during the workshop
- Final presentation with critique in class
THIS WORKSHOP IS FOR:
- Those who want to elevate their stories with motion
- Those seeking to take control in improving their skill
- People who love telling stories
- Photographers with basic knowledge
- People who struggle with capturing the narrative
- Positive people
- Basic understanding and how to use video editing software. (Premiere, Divinci Resolve, Final Cut, etc.) How to import footage, cut footage, work with a timeline. (I can supply some links to youtube for basic setup)
- Come with three possible story ideas that you have access to and can easily reshoot
- A camera that captures video
- April 6, 2022 - 6-9pm (CST) 3-hour webinar class
- April 7, 2022 - 7pm (CST) 1-hour webinar class going over participants story ideas and pre-production
- April 8-11, 2022 - Shoot and edit the assignment, schedule a 90 minutes virtual 1-on-1 with Scott to go over the project
- April 12-13, 2022 - Shoot and edit the assignment, schedule a 30 minutes virtual 1-on-1 with Scott to go over project progress
- April 14, 2022 - 3pm (CST) cut off for final project sent to Scott
- April 14, 2022 - 7pm (CST) webinar group viewing and critique of all final projects
FREE RENTAL KIT
Scott has partnered with Sony to provide an equipment kit (camera body, lens) to attendees who need rentals free of charge. Scott has also partnered with Dodd Camera in Chicago for discounts on additional rental gear.